Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturday Morning

Just in case you're wondering why I've yet to post any new pictures on our blog - our camera card *broke* the day we started this site. After 3 years it decided it just wasn't going to work anymore. I ordered a new one, but it's not in yet, so until then you'll just have to put up with my reminiscing.

My parent's house got hit by something yesterday, they're not sure if it was a tornado or down blast. Their backyard is nearly an acre, and whatever it was knocked down the fence all the way around and took the shingles off the shed. Thankfully no one was hurt. It's interesting because my mom announced to me Thursday night that she didn't want us bringing Allie with us to visit this month because 4 dogs is just too much. Of course I took that really well, ahem, since we don't have kids and Allie is our dog baby. And they have such a nice backyard, she always enjoys playing outside there. Anyway, the day after this *discussion* their fence gets taken out, so it wouldn't work to bring her anyway. Maybe that's God's way of telling me to let it go.

Jeff and I are headed to Alaska in June for my 10 year HS reunion. Hard to believe, isn't it? Our last trip to AK was in January of 2005, so this will be Jeff's first chance to see how beautiful it is in the summer. We're not staying a terribly long time, but plan to connect with some dear old friends and see a bit of the state in the process.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from our last trip to AK. These were taken on Alyeska, the mountain I learned to ski on 15 years ago, and Jeff as well on the 2005 trip. After at least a 3 year hiatus from the sport (not because of lack of desire mind you), one of my dear HS friends, Jess Semmler, talked me into hiking up to the very top of the mountain to ski down this great powder run. Just a *quick* hike she says. Well this quick hike included skiing across a 5" wide ledge for about and eighth of a mile, with a mountain to my left and very steep drop to my right. I know I ticked a bunch of pro skiers off because it took me so long to get across this part of the trail. Thankfully Jess, with her infinite patience, stayed close and did not leave me to fend for myself. I was seriously planning my funeral on that ledge, thinking how horrible would it be for me to fall to my death and never see my family again. After the treacherous ledge we had at least another 1/2 mile to hike up, with our skis on our shoulders, to the top of the trail. With the high altitude and my post marriage out-of-shapeness I was lucky I didn't die of a heart attack right there on top of the mountain - although I would have much preferred that to plummeting over the ledge. After about 20 minutes we finally made it to the top, and even ran into some old friends on the way. And was it worth it, you ask? Definitely! Although I did a few faceplants on the way down, there is nothing like 2 feet of almost untouched powder. Here are some pictures of the adventure.

Headed up



Halfway there

Victory at last!

2 comments:

Whitlamy said...

Oh my goodness...I WANT to go there. We were tentatively planning to go to Alaska in summer 2007 and then I got pregnant with Bryce. Now for our 5th wedding anniversary we've talked about it...maybe it will happen. We'll see. Hey, if you need someone to keep Allie while you're at your parents, we could. We don't have a fenced yard, but we could walk her. I miss having a dog around. You never met my sweet Madison. Man, that dog was SERIOUSLY my child. We were two peas in a pod. She went everywhere with me. I miss her.

Brooke said...

Those pictures of the snow in Alaska are amazing! I hope I get a chance to experience something close to that someday!