Monday, March 24, 2008

Two weeks later

After 2 weeks and at least 25 calls to the Cobb County police station, the abandoned car blocking our mailbox was finally towed this morning! The police station must hate me now, but it's really not my fault. Every person I spoke to over there gave me a different answer. To replay a few - Day 6: "You filed a police report four days ago? It looks like no one came by, I'll send an officer right away," Day 8: "Can you tow the car yourself? I'm sorry I really don't know what to tell you, let me give you the number to the officer on call," Day 9: "It's still there, yeah we need to send someone out to take care of that for you," Day 10: "I understand your frustration - let me get an officer to you right away to take care of it," Day 11: " We can't tow the car until Monday because right now everything is current on it. But Monday the insurance will expire so we can tow it then. The officer thinks it might belong to someone in the neighborhood." Nevermind the fact I'd already checked with every neighbor in our cul-de-sac and it had been sitting untouched in front of our house for TWO WEEKS! And in case this ever happens to anyone else, on the orange tag the officer affixed to the vehicle on the 18th (4 days after I filed the report) it says "if this vehicle is not removed without undue delay it will be towed at the owner's expense." So I guess undue delay means indefinitely or until something expires on the car.

I know I shouldn't go on and on about it so, I'm just glad it's gone. And so is our post-lady.

On a lighter note, we had a lovely and quiet Easter Sunday with friends, although the day leading up to it was not so smooth. Jeff and I got into a spat early Saturday afternoon and I started crying, which is rare for me. We worked through it, but then he went downstairs and I started watching Anne of Green Gables while I cleaned the closet. I guess I just needed to cry, because he came up 2 hours later and I was still crying. At first he was alarmed thinking I was still upset over the earlier incident, but then he tuned in to what was playing on tv and with his typical male sensitivity declared "I can't believe you've been up here crying over Anne of Green Gables for 2 hours!" It was actually Anne of Avonlea, but who was I to argue. I love everything about that series. In fact I love it so much that even though I own all of the DVD's I still watch it on TV when it comes on during the PBS telethon - annoying infobreaks and all. I know if Anne and I had known each other we most certainly would have been kindred spirits:)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I, too, still watch Anne every chance I get. I even Netflixed the whole series last year! =)

Lisa said...

eek! how did you find it!? It's not ready! Anyways.... I'm glad you like it. I did a lot of thinking of cute-sy title ideas. (I told you it was a slow day at work!). I've got to upload some pics tomorrow after I'm home. I'd hoped the MySpace thing would have worked, but I'm just not comfortable putting lots of stuff on there, I like this lots better. We'll see how it goes, but thanks for the intro!

Brooke said...

I was cracking up while reading your post- I can't believe how long it took to get that car towed! I think you showed greater patience than I could have!

Joshua C said...

The real irony is that if it were actually your car with engine problems or something, the HOA would have called it in and had it towed in 48 hours.

The key to getting the county to quickly remove an abandoned vehicle is to vandalize it. Shoulda called me =)

Alaskiana said...

You know, I'm surprised I didn't say anything about it at work, but I guess I didn't think much about it unless I was coming to or going from the house. I'll have to remember the vandalism thing because two weeks was ridiculous! Although if it ever happens again I'm calling the post office before the police, because evidentally if it is blocking a mailbox (which is was) they have a special number you can call to get it towed. Good thing no one at the station told me this until a day before the police came to get it:)