Thursday, December 3, 2009

You Know You're Pregnant When

**Warning this post is not for anyone with a queasy stomach!!

You eat almost a pack of saltine crackers a day.

You try not to drink anything past 7pm, yet still have to get up no less than 3 times a night to pee.

You can walk directly from the toilet in the bathroom where you lost most of your lunch back to the table where you were eating said lunch and immediately pick back up where you left off.

You realize at 9 weeks that you’re not “showing yet,” but can’t stand anything on your stomach, so as a result walk around with your pants unzipped and unbuttoned all day.

You have no appetite and nothing sounds good, but have to eat to keep from getting too hungry and puking.

You have to ask your friend carpooling with you if it’s okay to stop and puke in a parking lot on the way home, or if it’s okay to come in and puke in her bathroom before heading on down the road. (Love ya Lauren!)

You feel the need to announce in the public bathroom that you’re pregnant, not sick, when you’re forced to puke when there are other people around.

You have to eat breakfast 3 times some days because the first two wouldn’t stay down.

You can’t talk on the cellphone in the car without getting sick. Really, you can’t drive more than 15 minutes without getting sick.

You actually stop to think about whether or not something will taste too bad coming back up before you eat it.

You’ve puked so much that you’d rather puke outside, than in a toilet. Less messy.

Isn’t pregnancy grand:)

Truly, I don’t mean to complain. It is what it is, and women have been giving birth for thousands of years. I’m just hoping my second trimester will run a little more smoothly. Honestly though, before I got pregnant, I was terrified of being sick all the time. Turns out I had reason to be, because I have been sick a lot, but you know what? It’s not as bad as I’d imagined, or at least I’m better equipped to deal with it than I thought. I still hate throwing up, but now that it’s part of a means to an end, it’s a little easier to deal with.

For the first 2 weeks I obsessed about throwing up, and would get all worked up when I did. Now, I just kind of go with the flow. There’s really no rhyme or reason to it at this point, so when I feel it coming on, I just do it. If I’m not at a place where I can lay down until the nausea subsides, it’s better just to get it over with instead of waiting and getting all upset and worked up, then racing to the bathroom with my hand over my mouth.

However, although I have been nauseous A LOT, it does appear I might possibly have contracted the stomach flu 2 times this past month. I was highly susceptible to the virus before, and am apparently even moreso pregnant. For most people, myself included, puking 15 times in one evening is not a normal part of pregnancy. I just feel terrible because I’ve come to work both times thinking it was just the baby. That’s the hard part about pregnancy, it’s hard to tell if you’re really sick or just pregnant.

And the upside of all of this – if you would call it that, getting to veg on the couch and watch episodes of Bones every evening until bedtime. And having your husband be super sweet to you because he feels so bad that you feel so bad. And since this is my favorite time of year, I have had ample time already to FULLY appreciate our Charlie Brown Christmas tree and gas fireplace this season from my perch on the couch.

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

10 comments:

Brooke said...

I hate to admit this, but I was barely sick at all with any of my pregnancies. I feel so badly for you, sounds like it's been awful so far. Crossing my fingers that the second trimester is WAY better!

Hey, could you email me your new address? I have it somewhere but can't seem to find it. You can email it to brookethames@gmail.com

Thanks!

HappyascanB said...

So very sorry you've been so sick! A girl I work with is due 3 days ahead of me, and she's got a zofran IV in her all the time. And she's still getting sick!?!?! Yesterday was my worst day yet, and let's just say I totally get the announcing to everyone you're pregnant not sick in the bathroom. Yeah, it sucks. But that was my only puking escapade yet. We heard the baby's heartbeat yesterday! Beautiful sound!

HappyascanB said...

So very sorry you've been so sick! A girl I work with is due 3 days ahead of me, and she's got a zofran IV in her all the time. And she's still getting sick!?!?! Yesterday was my worst day yet, and let's just say I totally get the announcing to everyone you're pregnant not sick in the bathroom. Yeah, it sucks. But that was my only puking escapade yet. We heard the baby's heartbeat yesterday! Beautiful sound!

Britt said...

Congrats! We are so happy for you and Jeff. I will say an extra little prayer that you enjoy your second trimester more and the nausea goes away.

Britt

Anonymous said...

oh Courtney...that's AWFUL. So sorry, but thankful that the 2nd trimester is on it's way for ya! i'm almost at 12 weeks and doing great...praise God! asking for God's mercy upon you during this time.
Love~Marj.

Whitlamy said...

Feeling and praying for you!

Lisa said...

Oh, I feel so sorry for you. But you do know there are pregnancy-safe meds for this, don't you. Talk to your Doc! And Gingerale and saltines and all that other crap people tell you that you're tired of hearing already.

By the end of each of mine I made a new rule that no one could tell me anything about their own pregnancies or deliveries. That it would make NO difference on how I felt or how mine went and I didn't want to hear that they felt better and I certainly didn't want to hear about stuff that went wrong!

Hopefully week 13 and 2nd trimester bliss will be here soon!

Joshua C said...

I have to agree.

When it comes to doing things inside or out, puking and peeing outside are way more fun.

The McVickers said...

Oh, my Courtney! Thanks for getting me all excited about pregnancy :)

We're praying that puking business is all behind you come Spring-time ... we only have one bathroom here in Fredericksburg!

Love you and can't wait to see you!!

Alison said...

Oh my gosh...I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN. Not literally, but if memory serves I know just how you feel.

Much respect for any mama who has to tough it out through this stage! Holdng a sweet new baby is SOOO worth every ounce of effort it takes to get there.

Newborns...now that's a whole other chapter full of challenges!

Love you girl! And congratulations again!
Alison