Thursday, December 31, 2009

One for the Road

I hope everyone's christmas holiday was as full and fun as ours. The nauseau, although not gone completely, has gotten progressively better as long as I don't "overdo" it. Despite all, we managed to host 2 holiday parties and a good-bye party, attend 2 other christmas parties and enjoy christmas celebrations with both our family here in MS and LA. Christmas day also marked my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary, which we celebrated with a feast fit for kings. They (my grandparents) are such an inspiration to me. They've been married twice as long as I've been alive! Quite an accomplishment in this day and age, I might add.

As wonderful as this holiday season was, it was still bittersweet as we remembered our loved ones we lost in 2009: Both of Jeff's grandparents on the Smith side, his great grandmother and my grandmother from Alaska. Thankfully we both have many wonderful christmas memories with our lost loved ones to keep us going.

I left my camera at home, so no pictures until next week. But I had to share with you a very funny thing that happened on the way home from Louisiana Tuesday night.

We stopped at a Popeye's in Leesville to pick up dinner around 5:30 PM. Jeff and I are at the counter waiting for our order, which was taking forever, so he hands me the keys and says he'll bring the food out if I want to wait in the car. Keep in mind that I am greasy from traveling, and all bundled up in my peacoat and scarf. Not cute at all.

I get about halfway to my car and hear someone calling "Excuse me maam" from behind. I turn around and realize it is the guy who had been standing behind us in line at the restaurant. I'll have to say the first thing that ran through my head was he was going to ask for $$, so I warily turned around to give him my attention. In hindsight I realize that might not have been the smartest move, but there were several cars in the drive through right next to me, so I figured if he tried to kidnap me or something, one of them would jump out to help.

So I'm standing there, slightly distracted by the moon reflecting off of his 15 gold teeth, and he says:

"I don't mean to be rude, but I happened to notice that you just left a good-looking man like myself standing in the lobby, and I was wondering if you'd like to get better aquainted."

At this point I realize am staring at him somewhat dumbfoundedly. Seriously, I mean SERIOUSLY. I just left my 6'5" husband standing in the lobby, and you're asking if I want to hook up with you?

But of course, of all the things I should have said, "No thanks" was all that popped out as I turned and scooted to the car and locked the door. No thanks, as in no thanks, I don't want an extra cookie. Or no thanks, I don't want to buy any candy from your charity. Should have been more like He@# no you DUMBA@#. And you better get away from me before my gladiator sized husband comes out here and knocks all of those gold teeth right out of your head. Ugghh, no thanks. What a waste of words.

So that, my friends, was my pick-up story for the books. Pregnant and hit on in Leesville, LA, right under my husband's nose. And I know you're all wondering Jeff's reaction. I actually waited until we were about 2 miles from the restaurant to say anything, because I was afraid he would go back and try to kill the guy. Fortunately he thought it was just as funny and ridiculous as I did, and we laughed about it all the way out of town.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!!

2 comments:

Whitlamy said...

Absolutely HILARIOUS! Honestly I can't even believe it!

Joshua C said...

See? Pregnant chicks are hot.