Monday, October 12, 2009

Babycakes















I thought I found my calling last week. I had the best time making these cute cupcakes for my sister's shower.















Here is a close-up so you can fully appreciate the cuteness of these things. Although I take full credit for the craftsmanship, I give full credit for the cuteness to my husband. Let's just suffice it to say my first round of babyfaces didn't really look like babyfaces.
















This picture disturbs me just a little bit.

Anyway, back to my new calling. I had a blast making the cupcakes. But then I figured up that it took me about 5 hours, from start to finish (this includes making both the fondant and buttercream icing, desiging the faces, then baking and decorating the cupcakes) to complete this project. If I charged $30 for 24 super cute cupcakes, minus $5 in supplies, I'd be earning a whopping $6 an hour for these things. Now if I didn't have to make all of the icings, or could do several batches at once, it might be worth it as a side endeavor. But until I become more efficient, or grow another set of hands, I'm afraid cupcake decorating is not in my future.




















The glowing mother-to-be demonstrating the art of slinging - thanks for the idea, Amy!




















Sisters - isn't she absolutely glowing? Pregnancy really does become her. She's leaving me some big shoes to fill when my time comes...


I've had many people ask me if I find it weird/akward/strange that my baby sister got pregnant before me. To be honest about it - yes it was in the beginning, just a little bit. I mean she IS my BABY sister. How could she possibly get through this without me forging ahead of her to pave the way?? Never mind that millions of women have been through this before her and survived:) But I quickly got over my fears, and also my secret but brief dissapointment that we lost our last chance at having the first biological grandkid on either side. I was able to let go of my recovering type A personality have to be #1 at everything because none of that is important. It doesn't matter how far down the list you are, or who goes about it first. What matters is enjoying every step of the journey, no matter who goes ahead before you, and also the people you meet along the way. In 2 months I am going to be a doting aunt, and my sister is going to be a fantastic mother - again. So I am genuine when I say I am thrilled for her, and can't wait to be a part of this new chapter of her life. We are so blessed!















We had our monthly supper club Sunday night, a rockin cajun fest complete with boudan sausage and jazz music. What a fun group!
















I hope that face means Hank is really enjoying the garlic cheese bread I made (A favorite Pioneer Woman Recipe).















This past weekend it was cool enough to pull out my hat. Scout was really excited about it too, can't you tell. And Saturday I slept until 10:30 AM and Jeff slept until 2:30PM, can you believe it? That only happens on days when it's raining and we have nothing to do, which is about once every 3 years. I probably could have slept until 2:30PM as well, but my recovering type A personality isn't there just yet. Instead I moved to the couch, sipped coffee, munched on crepes and read my book. A GREAT way to spend a rainy Saturday.

Hope everyone has a great week!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Eating babies. Kinda creepy. But I bet it was a great shower. You do throw them well! =)

Joshua C said...

Eating babies. That's the best idea ever.

Brooke said...

Very cute cupcakes!! Well done!

I remember getting the call from my sister saying she was pregnant while I was on vacation in New York with Rick. He and I weren't even engaged yet (a few weeks later) and I had a little twinge of "hmm... I'm the oldest, I'm suppose to have a baby first". It didn't last that long! And crazy enough, our daughters are only a year apart!

What an exciting time for your family!

JABraley said...

The cupcakes are adorable - and Yes, you have to really love doing it, in and of itself, or it's not worth it - there's no big money in cakes (unless you make it to one of those TLC/HGTV shows !)

You are going to be an AWESOME aunt - Madeline loves you so much and you are far away and not even biologically related so I can't even imagine how much your own will love and adore you!!!!

More Than Words said...

thanks sis-i appreciate your unwavering support