Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Past 2 Weeks

Have been insanity at the Smith house. Two weekends ago my parents came over to help us finish up the porch, and thanks to my dad, aka the ironman, this time we almost really did. It is now completely screened in, and save some staining to be done on the side decks and a few bits of touch up painting, it is finally almost finished! We also celebrated my grandfather's 80th birthday with some good country barbecue. My boss told me a great way to fix it - boil your meat first, for a good 3 hours, to remove all of the fat, then throw it in the crock pot to simmer in the BBQ sauce of your choice all day. It was DELICIOUS!!

Jeff and Dad hanging the gutters - what a mess that was!



I love my parents!!



Happy Birthday Pawpaw!!


Last weekend we made our first attempt at a garage sale - and an attempt is really all it was. After 8 hours in the hot sun, we walked away with oh about $200 - $60 of which we made outside of the garage sale itself. Needless to say it wasn't the most productive day, but our neighbors were in on the fun, so we enjoyed camping out in each other's driveways all day. And our neighbor Danielle was our best customer - had it not been for her we really wouldn't have made anything!! Evidently our friends Amy and Michael Whitlark had a garage sale the same day and made nearly $600. I'll have to have to hire Amy as our coach next time around. I did learn one thing from our experience...I spent ALL WEEK pricing each and every item, and not one person paid any attention to my "labels." They all asked me how much I wanted for everything regardless of the neon price tags under their noses. I also didn't advertise the sale enough. I bet we didn't have more than 25 customers all day. Oh well - you live and learn. At least Goodwill reaped the benefits of our sorry sale!


Our neighbors (L-R) Nick, Rob, Danielle (proudly displaying one of her purchases from our rack) and Jeff.



Nick perusing the goods.



Since we sealed up our porch from the bugs, our favorite evening pastime has become eating dinner on the porch and then lounging on the 7 foot swing Jeff built a few years ago. It doesn't get much better than this!


Bailey loves it too - he's an indoor cat and this is as close to real outdoors as he'll ever get.


Even our resident rabbit has been taking advantage of the lazy summer evenings...here he is just a few feet from the porch, not a care in the world. Must be wonderful!!

5 comments:

Suzanna said...

I love the lounging bunny! We never make too much at a garage sale either...it might be because we stick the same old sign at the front of our neighborhood, basically put garbage in our driveway, and sit around to see who will pay for it. Amy must have had some good stuff.

The summer evenings at your house sound great! Glad you are enjoying the porch.

Angel said...

Hey there! Our first and last (so far) garage sale was insane! I can't remember how much we made, but customers arrived an hour early. Everything we thought wouldn't sell - did! Glad you made some money. Having a porch is nice. Ryan and I love ours. We don't get in many quiet evenings though. ;) Happy you are well!

Lisa said...

I despise garage sales. I'm glad you made $200! That sounds like a lot to me. And good for you for not bringing the stuff back in the house! Salem said he'd be happy to come over and help rid you of that Bunny. =)

Whitlamy said...

Aren't garage sales a lot of work? You wouldn't believe the amount of crap we had collected. I'm kind of a pack rat (or at least I was), so I held on to a lot of "stuff" from years back. Now that I've had Bryce, I don't want him to ever be burdened with my stuff, so I'm purging...BIG TIME. Needless to say, we had a lot to sell. My husband contributed to a good bit, too. After the sale, we still took 3 trips to Goodwill of everything that didn't sell...that tells you how much we really had. We need to catch up for dinner sometime. You'll have to teach me how to do that BBQ. Michael loves BBQ.

Brooke said...

We thought about a garage sale (our last one did really well), but I just don't have the time or energy for it. So, yesterday we took a truckload to Goodwill and next weekend we'll probably make another one and a trip to the dump. We felt so free after getting it all out of the garage and I don't think we'll miss the few hundred dollars we may have made!

I LOVE the porch!! I am so impressed by all the work you both have done, with the help of your family. We don't have the bugs up here nearly as badly as you guys do in the south, so a porch there seems like it would be a must! Have a great summer enjoying it! Miss you!