Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We're Back!!

Technically yes, we're back in Atlanta, but my body still feels like it's caught somewhere between AK and GA. We pulled in at 6:30 AM Monday morning after not sleeping a wink on the 7 hour direct flight from Anchorage. Well at least I didn't sleep at all - Jeff claims he got a few hours of shut-eye. I was supposed to show up at the office that morning, but thankfully my boss is wonderful and let me "work from home." After crashing for about 6 hours I finally drug myself out of bed around 2PM to catch up on emails.

So was the 4 day flash trip to AK worth it (6 days if you count traveling to and fro) - ABSOLUTELY!! We had a wonderful time hanging out with my old friends from HS, and the reunion was fun too. It's a lot to cover in one blog, but I'll give it a shot.

First of all, I must brag about my wonderful grandparents who opened their home to us, let us borrow both of their cars and eat all of their food. How generous is that? Thanks to them we didn't spend a penny over $200 on the bulk of the trip. Thanks Granny and Poppa - we're so lucky to have such wonderful grandparents! It was also fun staying at their house, as it brings back so many memories of growing up in AK.

Here's to Granny and Poppa!!


Wednesday we took a day trip down to Seward - one of my favorite coastal towns. Might I add that I neglected to check or even ask about the weather before the trip, so we were completely unprepared for the abnormally cold temperatures for this time of year. I don't think it ever made it over 65 while we were there. It was fairly rainy and overcast for most of the drive down to Seward, but we still got some great shots of the Kenai Peninsula. Can you imagine having this kind of view everytime you hop in your car?? I totally took it for granted when I lived there.


Note the snow still coating the mountains - that is very unusual for this time of year. Typically if there is any snow by now it's just at the very top of the peaks, not cascading down the sides like that. Anyway, Jeff and I dined at this trendy little brewery right on the harbor in Seward. We split some fried halibut - not my favorite fish but this batch was delicious! We spent the rest of the afternoon strolling around the harbor and town, freezing our asses off, but loving every minute of it!

Jeff and his dream sailboat (If it wasn't so overcast you'd see a mountain in the backdrop behind him).


I then took Jeff to the spot where my brother Curtis, who was 3 at the time, wedged himself in an old piece of pipe casing on the beach and we had to call the fire department to come get him out. They've since filled in the hole with concrete - go figure.


Here are some fun pictures from the beach. I think it was snowing at this point - seriously.





On the way home from Seward we hiked up to see Jeff's first glacier - Exit Glacier. It was a beautiful excursion.







That's all for tonight - I'm fading fast. More to come tomorrow...

7 comments:

Suzanna said...

Welcome home! Love the pictures--makes me excited about going back someday. Is Seward the town where you go to see Prince Somebody (Edward?)Sound? Or am I confusing that?

Brooke said...

Very fun!! Can't wait to hear about the reunion.

JABraley said...

Looks beautiful - Alaska has never been somewhere on my "must see" list but would love to see it with you!

Can't wait to catch up!

Anonymous said...

courtney--oh, granny and poppa!! what fun we had going to "the farm" for huge dinners when they were in town! Alaska is dreamy.
Marjo

More Than Words said...

hey sis :) wish i could have gone with yal-i know you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those mountains are amazing! Is that a glacier? The ice is so blue it looks cyan. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Seward was my favorite place when we went to Alaska. We stayed at Soo's Bed and Breakfast. I will have to send you a picture of our favorite boat in Seward.